Douglas County Healthcare Coalition
The Douglas County Healthcare Coalition is a partnership of healthcare agencies, providers, and community partners working together to promote, consolidate, and coordinate a unified response to emergencies affecting our community.
The Douglas County Healthcare Coalition endeavors to develop and promote emergency preparedness and response capabilities of Douglas County healthcare entities by:
- Strengthening medical surge capacity and capabilities
- Building relationships and partnerships
- Facilitating communication, information and resource sharing
- Maximizing movement and utilization of existing resources
- Coordinating training, drills, and exercises
Roles of Coalition Facilitation/Sponsors
Carson City Health and Human Services:
Provides technical support to assist with coalition efforts through the preparedness delegation issued by Nevada State Health Officer. Provides insight, policy guidance, and leadership through meeting participation, planning support and communications to promote, attain and sustain Public Health. Carson City Department of Health
Douglas County Emergency Management:
Provides support to the Healthcare Coalition and organizational services to advance and facilitate the delivery of emergency medical services by coordinating and advising the efforts through lead administrative support and facilitation of coalition meetings and deliverables.
Provide representation at coalition meetings and activities, develop strategies and contribute to achieving established coalition priorities and goals.
The Douglas County Healthcare Coalition serves as the meta-leader that brings everyone together for everyday healthcare and emergency preparedness activities. This builds relationships and strengthens community resiliency based upon mutual trust and expectations.
- Exercised Douglas County Emergency Management/Carson City Health/East Fork Fire’s Ebola response plan at Minden Medical Center.
- Conducted multiple flu clinics in the community as a partnership of the facilities, Carson City Health, East Fork and Tahoe Douglas Fire and Douglas County Emergency Management and Douglas County’s Sheriff’s Office using the umbrella group of the Healthcare Coalition.
- Table top discussion exercises on the impact of winter storms on our healthcare system including assisted living, long term care, skilled nursing, critical access hospitals, public health, stand-alone emergency department and fire/EMS.
- Table top discussion exercises on impact of a riverine flood event on our healthcare system including assisted living, long term care, skilled nursing, critical access hospitals, public health, stand-alone emergency department and fire/EMS.
- Registered all healthcare coalition members into an electronic call down notification program with Douglas County 9-1-1 Emergency Communications Center so we had a method of emergency contact with each facility and healthcare organization.
- Working on hospital evacuation plan, multi-casualty incident and medical surge plans within our region.
- Created a behavioral health task force as an off shoot to address behavioral health services in our community based upon a need identified in HCC meetings.
- Maintained HeartSafe Community endorsement.
- Completed a Public Health Jurisdictional Risk Assessment
- Working on a Community Health Needs Assessment to identify the health ne
- First aid booths using the Medical Reserve Corp volunteer organization and Healthcare Coalition members at a Thunderbirds Air Show, Carson Valley Days and Candy Dance.
Goals for 2016
- Conduct a short table top exercise at each meeting.
- Provide first aid booths at Carson Valley Days and Candy Dance.
- Register Healthcare Coalition contacts in electronic call down notification program.
- Maintain HeartSafe Community Endorsement.
- Involve more partners, including dialysis center.
- Reduce disease transmission between facilities.
- Educate and spread awareness on recognizing signs of stroke.
Douglas County Emergency Management
Kathy Cocking, MSN, RN
Carson Valley Medical Center
Carson City Health & Human Services
- Air Ambulance Providers: Care Flight & CALSTAR
- Brookdale Senior Living Solutions
- Carson City Health and Human Services
- Carson Tahoe Regional Healthcare
- Carson Valley Medical Center
- Carson Valley Senior Living
- Community Health Centers
- County Health Officer
- Division of Public and Behavioral Health
- Division of Public Safety, Office of Traffic Safety
- Douglas County 911 Emergency Services
- Douglas County Emergency Management
- Douglas County Social Services
- Douglas County School District
- Douglas Mental Health
- East Fork Fire and Paramedic Districts
- Gardnerville Health and Rehabilitation
- Home Healthcare Companies
- Hospice Organizations
- Medical Reserve Corps
- Merrill Gardens
- Nevada Hospital Association
- Partnership for Community Resources
- Private Physician Groups
- Sheriff’s Office and Coroner
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Providers
- Suicide Prevention Network
- Tahoe Douglas Fire District
- Tribal Health Care
- VA Carson Valley Outpatient Clinic