County Boards & Commissions
Request for Applicants
The Douglas County Board of Commissioners is currently accepting applications for appointment to the following volunteer advisory boards:
911 Surcharge Advisory Committee
Airport Advisory Committee
(Community at Large, Airport Powered Aircraft Community,Business Community, Airport Soaring Community)
Board of Equalization
Genoa Historic District Commission
Douglas Co. Advisory Board to Manage Wildlife
Parks and Recreation Commission
Senior Services Advisory Council
Water Conveyance Advisory Committee
Board eligibility requirements vary. All applicants must be Douglas County residents. Additional information and application forms are available in the County Manager’s office at the Minden Inn, 1594 Esmeralda Avenue – Minden, NV 89423 (782-9821).
Applications can also be downloaded HERE.
Application Deadline: 5:00pm Friday, December 15, 2017
(Interviews and appointments will be made at a Special County Commissioners’ meeting
in January 2018. Date and Time will be announced. )Citizen participation on Douglas County advisory committees serves two important purposes:
- The Board of Commissioners receives timely input and information regarding issues and potential impacts.
- Residents are directly involved in their local government and can positively impact the future of their community.
Appointments vary in length, and the terms are staggered to provide for continuity. The responsibilities of the members generally include:
- Holding public meetings to solicit community input on current issues
- Identifying issues which the advisory committee feels should be addressed by the board or staff
- Providing ongoing recommendations to the board and staff concerning specific program areas
Within the county structure, many committees serve in an advisory capacity to the board. Those committees are:
- 911 Surcharge Advisory Committee
- Airport Advisory Committee
- Genoa Historic District Commission
- Parks and Recreation Commission
- Senior Services Advisory Council
- Water Conveyance Advisory Committee
- Board of Equalization
- Carson Water Subconservancy District
- Douglas County Advisory Board to Manage Wildlife
- Law Library
- Library Board of Trustees
- Planning Commission
- Regional Transportation Commission
In late fall of each year, the county Manager’s Office solicits applications from interested residents for appointment / reappointment to advisory committee openings that will occur in January of the next year. Contact the county Manager’s Office at 775-782-9821 for an application form and additional information.
The Manager’s Office generally provides a Volunteer Board Advisory Training in the first part of each year once appointments are made. At training, staff members discuss and provide new advisory board members with resources such as The Douglas County Handbook for Effective Boards and Committees, Easy Rules for Ethics, and information regarding compliance with the Open Meeting Law.